Tuesday, November 28, 2006

There Was No There, There.

Alternate title: Nature? No, Thank You.

I have been to the mountain top, and I don't care to go back. Ever. There were trees and snow. I saw them out the window. I saw them for three days.

I was told the Thanksgiving trip would be to a "ski resort." There was some "ski" but not a lick of "resort." The best way to explain it is that I was able to phonecam the entire town in two pictures. They had a Starbucks, but it hadn't opened for the season yet. They have over 300 nights a year below freezing. It was cold and I couldn't breathe due to the dry, oxygen-impaired air. I'm surprised my asthma didn't act up. I also had to sleep on a sofa bed. And I had no cell reception at 10,420 feet. I couldn't even send funny texts about my misery.

After coming down off the mountain, I got cell reception and a beer. It was warmer and there was something to do. I saw some red rocks in a canyon. I saw them out the window too. I saw a book store, but it was going out of business. People who hike don't read I guess. If we had spent three days in the canyon instead of just the one, I'm sure I would have had to hike, which would have been ok.

ReadBecca prefers hiking to being trapped in the tundra of a two-building town. It's my own personal version of "Would You Rather?" I would pay good money to keep the beauty of the outdoors unspoiled, as long as I didn't have to experience any of it.

Level of Irritation Over The Holiday: Chernobyl
Feeling at Inability to Hide Said Level of Irritation: Guilty

No comments: