Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Riding The Bus With ReadBecca

I have never ridden a bus in any city I've ever lived in, only ones I've visited because most of the places I visit have much better public transportation and there isn't that whole "Hey, you're poor!" connotation like here in Texas. Anyway, yesterday, I rode the bus.

I didn't plan to, but I got a flat and there was all this flat drama about not being able to get it fixed right away, so I ended up walking to the bank then to the train station, stealing a ride on the train but it wasn't my fault the machine wouldn't take folding money, then waiting an hour for a bus and then walking the last part of the way home in bare feet because my blisters were hobbling me in my boots. All this resulted in a massive headache due to not eating anything until 4 pm when I finally got home from my 10:30 am interview.

Riding the bus takes commitment because it takes forfuckingever to get anywhere. Hats off to people who do it every day. Seriously, the bus only comes around every hour. I think there's only one bus at a time on the route that goes by my house. You would think that having two buses at least on the same route would be smart. If they leave from opposite ends, then you have an inbound and and outbound running at the same time. Because right now, I should just catch the one bus and stay on it the whole way because at least then I'd be in the air conditioning instead of standing around waiting for the same bus to come back, and I also don't have to cross the street and risk getting killed to stand at the bus stop that's going the direction I'm going.

Trains, I've got them down. Trains are way easier than buses. Give me a train any day. But to get to the train, you have to take a bus so if I want to go WEST to downtown Dallas, which is a 10-minute drive, I have to go NORTH on the bus to the train station, then go SOUTH on the train, and it takes like an hour. There's probably a different bus to take downtown, but I only know this one because it goes to the train station and passes by two banks I need to go to and the stop is close enough to my house.

But if I actually got off near the bank I'd have to wait for an hour for the bus to come back to take me to the train station, which I would have probably started walking to since I could make it there, probably, in the hour it would take the bus to come back. So either way, I end up walking around the city anyway and I have to deal with the whole "Hey, you're poor!" crap from everyone on top of that, and get blisters.

It sucks being part of the proletariat.

No comments: