Friday, August 05, 2005

Ecclesiastes 10:13 KJV

"The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness: and the end of his talk is mischievous madness."


So a few months back, I posted a Missed Connection on Craig's List and found my ex-boyfriend Tucker. There's nothing horrendous to report on the relationship or the break up. It was remarkable for its drama-free status, which made looking for him such a brilliant idea.

Except I wasn't prepared for actually finding him. In a matter of hours. By googling a combination of terms that led me to his wedding website. Which was really beautiful. And finding his wife's blog. And reading every post from the last three years. And deciding she was so cool I'd invite her to join my book club if she lived here and I hadn't slept with her husband. Their kid is adorable too.

As soon as I finished with all the details of their glorious wedding, which wouldn't have had sushi if I had been in any way involved, I got his first email via Craig's List.

It was a Wednesday.

I like to think of it now as The Great Tucker Freakout of '05. I have the bottle to commemorate the date.

Tucker and I exchange chatty notes wherein I mostly make fun of him for his leisure-time pursuits. I ask his opinion a lot. We played "remember when" in some walking-the-line emails, but we were both so conscientious of being decent human beings we never crossed it. Which reminded me why I wanted to find him. He's a good guy. The goodest.

The Great Tucker Freakout of '05 has not been repeated. I ripped the band-aid off and turned Tucker into a friend as quick as I could. Still, a rendez-vous would have been interesting, she said with a grin.

In any case, Tucker and I never would have worked out. I hate the smell of patchouli and that boy will always go back to Austin.

As Fiona said to Charlie at the third wedding, "Friends is quite something."

No comments: