Friday, September 30, 2005

I Love You, The Outfield.

I'm sorry I didn't come to your show that time you were in Corpus in 1987, or was it '88? I think it was '87. Yes, because it was the summer after sophomore year.

Anyway, I got busted for smoking in my mom's car so I was on restriction and I couldn't come to the show. I blame Holly, Jennifer and Schellei. I had all the windows down and they made me put them up except for a crack because the wind was messing up their hair. Holly said the smell would be gone by morning. They were all smoking too. Four girls smoking in the Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra was not going to go unnoticed. Holly said a lot of things.

But that kid my mom was letting sleep on our couch busted me. He could have said it wasn't me, it was my friends, but no, that punk ratted me out. My mom was always picking up strays with alleged bad home lives, but I always knew they were trouble makers and she was an easy mark.

That one kid just wanted to sleep with me. He creeped me out. I was only nice to him once so he would go with me to a dance because Crazy Linda wouldn't let me go unless I had a date. Yeah, she's not a feminist.

He spent the whole time trying to get me out of the ballroom and into some dark, out-of-the way place. He said he wanted to go "exploring." I knew what he was up to and my friends thought he was gross. It's funny how much smarter I was about men when I was fifteen. But I didn't know how to score beer yet, so that might have something to do with it.

It's weird, but I remember being busted for smoking IN the car, but not for actually SMOKING, which I continued to do up until I was about 26.

I miss you, Marlboro Menthol Light 100's in a box. Although with a softpack, there's always one cigarette left. You just have to un-crush the pack and look for it.

JOSIE'S ON VACATION FAR AWAY. COME AROUND AND TALK IT OVER!
SO MANY THINGS THAT I WANT TO SAY. YOU KNOW I LIKE MY GIRLS A LITTLE BIT OLDER.
I JUST WANT TO USE YOUR LOVE TONIGHT.
I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR LOVE TONIGHT.

God, I need a smoke.

No comments: