Wednesday, September 28, 2005

You Know What's Fun?

Throwing away old socks that basically have nothing wrong with them except you've changed sock styles. I used to wear those white socks that came halfway up the calf and then I'd push them down, 1987-style. Bunched up socks and ratty Keds were my uniform. It took me 20 minutes to get my socks properly bunched and evenly spaced between bunches. I got less obsessed with the perfection of my bunching, but I still tended to buy the same kind of socks, even though I hardly ever wear shoes that require them.

I bought some suede athletic-style shoes that aren't meant to work out in to wear in Paris and I didn't want uncool socks fucking up my look, so I had to switch styles. Then the guy at Run-On! told me my socks sucked when I went to buy new walking shoes that are actually meant to work out in. So I bought some socks with CoolMax technology, which is weird because socks don't really require much technology. Then I started buying socks that were low or not meant to show at all. Which leads to a giant pile of clean, hardly worn, bunchable socks staring at me every time I open the closet.

Yesterday, I pitched them all in a garbage bag along with some of my least favorite underwear styles. I can't get into that shade of purple.

No comments: